- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 medium beets (1 pound), peeled and coarsely shredded on a box grater (2 1/2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 1/4 cups sour cream
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the oil. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat until just softened, about 2 minutes. Add the beets and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add 3/4 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the beets are just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and honey and cook uncovered over high heat, stirring frequently, until the liquid has evaporated completely and the beets are very tender and dry, about 6 minutes longer.
- Scrape the beet mixture onto a large plate and let cool. Fold in the sour cream and season with salt and pepper.
The beet dip can be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
Cauliflower, endive, celery, fennel, toasted baguette slices and pita chips.
Earthy, fruity sparkling rosé from Burgundy: NV Louis Bouillot Perle d'Aurore Crémant de Bourgogne Rosé Brut.