Creamy Asparagus Soup with Lemon Dumplings
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 50 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
Jean-Georges Vongerichten's new restaurant in Shanghai will be French, but with updated dishes like this one. "Even classic French restaurants have evolved," Vongerichten says.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, thinly sliced (1 1/2 cups)
- 2 pounds medium asparagus, 1 1/2-inch tips reserved, spears coarsely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 quart chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 24 Lemon Dumplings
- In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in the olive oil. Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chopped asparagus, season with salt and pepper and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cream and bring to a boil over moderately high heat. Reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the asparagus is very tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add salt and the asparagus tips and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tips and reserve them; keep the water boiling.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor and strain it through a coarse sieve, pressing on the solids. Return the soup to the large saucepan, season with salt and pepper and add the asparagus tips. Keep hot.
- Add the Lemon Dumplings to the boiling water and cook until just tender, about 1 1/2 minutes; drain. Melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the saucepan over moderately high heat. Add the dumplings and carefully swirl them in the butter to coat. Add 4 dumplings to each soup plate, ladle the asparagus soup over them and serve.
A tart New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc has the acidity and fresh herbal flavor to stand up to the asparagus and lemon in this soup. Look for one from the Marlborough region.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.