Creamy Asparagus Soup
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 3 cups chicken stock or low-sodium broth
- 1 pound pencil-thin asparagus, tips reserved and stalks cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1/2 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound fresh ricotta (2 cups)
- Salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 1/4 cup salted roasted pistachios
- 2 scallions, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- In a large saucepan, bring the stock to a boil. Add the asparagus tips and cook just until bright green, about 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the tips to a plate. Add the onion to the saucepan. Cover and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the asparagus stalks and cook until just tender, about 3 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the onion and asparagus stalks to a blender. Add the ricotta and puree until smooth and creamy, adding a bit of the broth to loosen the puree. Return the puree to the saucepan; stir well and season with salt and white pepper. Add the reserved asparagus tips and simmer the soup until just heated through.
- Meanwhile, in a mini chopper, pulse the pistachios, scallions, vinegar and oil to form a coarse paste. Season with salt and white pepper. Ladle the soup into shallow bowls and swirl in a bit of the scallion-pistachio pesto.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.