- 1 small red bell pepper
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 oil-packed anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- Pinch of saffron threads
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Roast the bell pepper over a gas flame or under a preheated broiler, turning occasionally, until charred all over. Transfer to a plate to cool. Discard the skin, stem and seeds. Coarsely chop the pepper and transfer to a blender. Add the mayonnaise, anchovies, mustard, lemon juice, garlic and saffron and puree. With the machine on, add the oil. Season with salt, pepper and Tabasco; serve.
Make AheadThe rouille can be covered and refrigerated overnight. Bring to room temperature before serving.