© Beatriz Da Costa
Creamed Wild Mushrooms on Toast with Thyme
- SERVINGS: 8
At Cascadia, Sear's creamy sautéed mushrooms come to the table in a skillet.
- 1/2 cup dried morels (1/2 ounce)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 pound white mushrooms, stems trimmed, caps coarsely chopped
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for brushing
- 2 large shallots, minced
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 pound shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded, caps thickly sliced
- 4 ounces chanterelle or hedgehog mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 2 teaspoons minced thyme
- Sixteen 1/2-inch-thick baguette slices, buttered and toasted
- In a small bowl, cover the dried morels with the boiling water and let stand until softened, about 20 minutes. Swish the morels in the soaking liquid to remove any grit and drain on paper towels; halve any large morels. Reserve the soaking liquid.
- In a food processor, mince the white mushrooms. In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add the shallots and cook over low heat until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the minced white mushrooms and a pinch each of salt and pepper and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until any exuded liquid evaporates, about 3 minutes. Add the brandy and reduce by half, about 4 minutes.
- Add the morels and their reserved soaking liquid, stopping when you reach any grit on the bottom. Add 3/4 cup of the cream and simmer over moderate heat until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.
- In another large skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the shiitake, chanterelle and oyster mushrooms, season with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add 1/4 cup of the chicken stock, cover and cook over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender, about 8 minutes. Add the remaining 1/4 cup each of cream and stock and simmer until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Add the creamed morels and the thyme and simmer for 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Arrange the toasted baguette slices on 8 plates. Spoon the creamed mushrooms on top and serve at once.
Make AheadThe creamed mushrooms can be refrigerated overnight.
The earthy mushrooms call for a fruity Sauvignon Blanc.