- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 1/2 pounds trimmed spinach (not baby spinach)
- 4 shallots, finely chopped (1 cup)
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 cups heavy cream
- Salted Herbs
- Freshly ground pepper
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 425º. In a large saucepan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Add the spinach in large handfuls, letting each batch wilt slightly before adding more. Cook the spinach over high heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 7 minutes. Transfer the spinach to a strainer set over a large bowl to drain. Let the cooked spinach cool slightly, then squeeze out all of the excess water from the leaves.
- Wipe out the saucepan, then use it to melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shallots and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook, stirring, until absorbed, about 3 minutes. Add the heavy cream and bring just to a boil. Simmer over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until reduced by half, about 7 minutes. Stir in the Salted Herbs and season lightly with pepper.
- Fold the spinach into the cream sauce and scrape the mixture into a buttered 1 1/2-quart baking dish. Bake the creamed spinach for about 15 minutes, until bubbling and the sauce is thickened. Let stand for 5 minutes before serving.