- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large onions (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
How to make this recipe
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 30 minutes. Add the thyme, sage, nutmeg and white pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, transfer to a bowl and serve.
The onions can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. Reheat gently.