Creamed Onions with Thyme and Sage
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 12
For chef Dean Fearing, these creamy onions, spiked with fresh herbs and nutmeg, have a melt-in-your-mouth lusciousness similar to mashed potatoes. Using large onions, which are easiest to peel and chop, makes the dish much simpler to prepare than the standard pearl-onion version.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 4 large onions (about 2 pounds), cut into 1-inch dice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped sage
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 30 minutes. Add the thyme, sage, nutmeg and white pepper and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the cream and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season with salt, transfer to a bowl and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.