- 1 pound Tuscan kale, stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Twenty-four 1/2-inch-thick slices of baguette, oiled and toasted
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the kale until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly, then finely chop.
- Preheat the broiler. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just starting to brown, 2 minutes. Add the kale and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add the cream and bring just to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the cream has thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the kale on the toasts and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Broil for about 2 minutes, rotating the pan as necessary, until the cheese is just melted and the kale is hot. Serve right away.
The creamed kale can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before using.