© Con Poulos
Creamed Kale Toasts
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 24 toasts
Instead of creamed spinach, try this luxurious creamed kale on crunchy toasts.
Slideshow: Bruschetta and Crostini
- 1 pound Tuscan kale, stems discarded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- Twenty-four 1/2-inch-thick slices of baguette, oiled and toasted
- In a large saucepan of salted boiling water, blanch the kale until just tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly, then finely chop.
- Preheat the broiler. In a large skillet, melt the butter. Add the garlic and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until just starting to brown, 2 minutes. Add the kale and crushed red pepper and cook for 2 minutes, tossing. Add the cream and bring just to a boil. Simmer over moderately low heat, stirring, until the cream has thickened, 5 minutes. Stir in 1/4 cup of the grated cheese and season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the kale on the toasts and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup of cheese. Broil for about 2 minutes, rotating the pan as necessary, until the cheese is just melted and the kale is hot. Serve right away.
Make AheadThe creamed kale can be refrigerated overnight. Reheat gently before using.