Creamed Kale and Mushroom Toasts
- TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
“On every holiday, my mom, Mary Ann White, made creamed spinach. And she used fresh spinach, never frozen,” chef Michael White says proudly. The chef opts for kale to top little brioche rounds, which he toasts in butter for this appetizer. You can use almost any variety of kale here, from curly to dinosaur to red Russian.
- 3/4 pound kale—tough stems and inner ribs removed, leaves coarsely chopped
- Sixteen 1/2-inch-thick slices of brioche
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon coarsely chopped thyme
- 3/4 pound mixed mushrooms, such as cremini, oyster and shiitake, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil. Add the kale and cook until just tender, about 2 minutes. Drain, pressing out the excess water.
- Using a 1 1/2-inch round cookie or biscuit cutter, punch out 32 rounds from the brioche slices (you can save the scraps to toast and grind for bread crumbs). In a large skillet, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Add half of the brioche rounds and toast over low heat, turning once, until golden, 3 minutes. Transfer the rounds to a work surface. Wipe out the skillet. Add 2 more tablespoons of butter and let it melt. Add the remaining brioche rounds and toast.
- Wipe out the skillet and melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter in it. Add the shallots, garlic and thyme and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Add the kale and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add the sherry and cook until evaporated. Add the cream, season with salt and pepper and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the parsley. Spoon the mixture onto the toasts and serve warm.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.