- 3 1/2 pounds Tuscan kale, 4 leaves left whole, the rest stemmed and chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 white onions, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon honey
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. On a large baking sheet, rub the whole kale leaves with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake for about 15 minutes, until crispy. Let cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, melt the butter in the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the onions, season with salt and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the chopped kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the cream and honey and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the kale is very tender and coated in a thick sauce, 35 to 40 minutes.
- Transfer half of the creamed kale to a food processor and puree until nearly smooth. Stir the puree into the pot and season with salt and pepper. Transfer the creamed kale to a serving bowl. Top with the crispy kale leaves and serve.
The creamed kale can be refrigerated for 2 days. Reheat gently before topping with the crispy kale and serving.