- 2 dozen ears of corn, shucked, or 4 1/2 pounds frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Using a thin knife and working in a bowl, cut the kernels from the cobs. Working over another bowl, scrape the cobs with the back of a knife to release the corn milk. In a blender or food processor, puree half of the corn kernels with the corn milk.
- Melt the butter in large deep skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the whole corn kernels and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add the corn puree and cook until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the cream and salt and cook until heated through. Serve warm.
Make Ahead The creamed corn can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm over low heat, stirring constantly.