- 2 dozen ears of corn, shucked, or 4 1/2 pounds frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons salt
- Using a thin knife and working in a bowl, cut the kernels from the cobs. Working over another bowl, scrape the cobs with the back of a knife to release the corn milk. In a blender or food processor, puree half of the corn kernels with the corn milk.
- Melt the butter in large deep skillet. Add the onion and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the whole corn kernels and cook, stirring, until crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Add the corn puree and cook until slightly thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce the heat to low, add the cream and salt and cook until heated through. Serve warm.
The creamed corn can be refrigerated overnight. Rewarm over low heat, stirring constantly.