Cream Cheese Pastry
- TOTAL TIME:
- SERVINGS: MAKES ENOUGH FOR ONE 12-INCH TART OR TWO 10-INCH PIES
Use this tender cream cheese pastry plain or seasoned with cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger to complement traditional holiday pie and tart fillings.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger (optional)
- 1/4 cup cream cheese (2 ounces), softened
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons ice water
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- In a food processor, combine the flour, brown sugar and spices, if using, and pulse to mix. Add the cream cheese and pulse until the mixture is sandy. Add the butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small pitcher, combine the ice water with the egg, oil and vanilla and pour into the food processor; pulse until the dough just forms a ball. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into 1 large disk for a tart or 2 small disks for pies. Wrap the dough in plastic and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.