- 1 1/3 cups cake flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup cranberries, chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 425° and line a baking sheet with wax paper. In a medium bowl, mix the flour with the sugar, baking powder and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in the cranberries and walnuts.
- In a small bowl, mix the buttermilk with the vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork just until the dough comes together. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead twice. Pat the dough into a round and cut into 8 wedges. With lightly floured hands, pat the wedges into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Set the rounds on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 12 to 14 minutes, or until the scones are puffed and pale golden. Transfer to a rack and cool before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.