Cranberry-Pumpkin Seed Energy Bars
- ACTIVE: 20 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 2 HRS 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12 bars
These honey-flavored cereal bars with puffed rice and toasted oats, from Real Snacks by Lara Ferroni, make a great substitute for store-bought energy bars. They can be made with almost any mix of nuts and dried fruit.
- 1 cup pecans, crushed
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup flaxseeds
- 2/3 cup muscovado or dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup honey
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups puffed rice cereal
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Spread the pecans, oats, pumpkin seeds and flaxseeds on the sheet and bake until fragrant, 8 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl.
- In a saucepan, bring the sugar, honey, butter and salt to a boil over moderate heat. Simmer until the sugar is dissolved and a light brown caramel forms, 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Drizzle the caramel all over the nut-and-oat mixture. Stir in the puffed rice and cranberries until evenly coated.
- Line an 8-inch square baking dish with parchment paper, extending the paper over the side. Scrape the cereal mixture into the dish in an even layer. Cover the mixture with a second sheet of parchment and press down to compress it. Let stand until firm, about 2 hours.
- Discard the top piece of parchment. Using the overhanging paper, lift out the cereal square and transfer it to a work surface. Cut into 12 bars and serve.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.