- 2 1/2 tablespoons yellow mustard seeds
- 3/4 cup dry white wine
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- One 1/2-inch slice of fresh ginger
- 5 whole cloves
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup Champagne vinegar
- 3/4 cup pure cranberry juice
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 2 cups dried cranberries (1/2 pound)
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, soak the mustard seeds in the wine at room temperature overnight.
Wrap the cinnamon stick, ginger and cloves in a piece of cheesecloth and tie closed. In a saucepan, whisk the mustard seeds, wine, sugar, vinegar, cranberry juice and mustard powder and bring to a boil. Add the spice bundle and cook over moderate heat, without stirring, until the syrup coats the back of a spoon, 25 minutes. Discard the spice bundle. Stir in the cranberries and orange zest and let the mostarda cool completely. Season with salt and serve; stir in water by the tablespoon if it seems too thick.
The mostarda can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.