- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes 2 cups
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 star anise pods
- 2 cinnamon sticks, broken
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds scraped
- 1 pound cranberries
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Pernod
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lime zest
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the star anise pods, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean and seeds and cook over moderately high heat until sizzling, about 1 minute. Add the cranberries and brown sugar, cover and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until the cranberries burst, about 5 minutes. Add the vinegar and Pernod and cook for 2 minutes longer. Discard the star anise pods, cinnamon sticks and vanilla bean and stir in the lemon and lime zests. Let the compote cool to room temperature before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.