Cranberry-Glazed Pumpkin Pie
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN Plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 8
In Greensboro, Alabama, Pie Lab serves as a café as well as a classroom where young men and women who are just out of school can learn about business and culinary arts. The Pie Lab team's recipe here has a super-simple crust made with store-bought gingersnaps and ground walnuts, a silky pumpkin filling and a cranberry compote topping with more crunchy walnuts.
- 8 ounces gingersnaps, crushed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
Filling and Toppings
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a food processor, pulse the gingersnaps with the walnuts until finely ground. Add the melted butter and pulse until the crumbs are moistened. Press the crumbs evenly into a 9-inch glass or ceramic pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the pumpkin with the brown sugar, honey, ground ginger, cinnamon, salt, ground cloves, eggs and heavy cream. Pour the pie filling into the crust. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the crust is deep brown and the filling is just set around the edges but still slightly jiggly in the center; cover the edge of the crust with strips of foil halfway through baking to prevent burning. Transfer the pie to a wire rack to cool.
- In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice with the water, granulated sugar and flour and whisk until smooth. Add the cranberries and cook over moderate heat, stirring, until the liquid is thickened and glossy and the cranberries just begin to burst, about 5 minutes. Carefully pour the hot cranberry glaze over the pie and refrigerate until well chilled. Sprinkle the walnuts on top of the pie just before serving.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.