Cranberry, Ginger, and Pear Chutney
- SERVINGS: MAKES ABOUT 3 1/2 CUPS
Delicious, Quick Side Dishes
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 ounces fresh ginger, peeled and cut into 1/8 -by-1-inch strips
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Pinch of salt
- 2 pounds firm pears, such as Bosc, peeled and cut into 1/3 -inch dice
- 3/4 pound fresh cranberries (about 3 1/2 cups), picked over
- In a nonreactive medium saucepan, combine the sugar, vinegar, ginger, cayenne and salt and bring to a boil over moderate heat. Add the pears, cover and cook until they are crisp-tender, about 10 minutes. Strain and transfer the pears to a bowl. Return the liquid to the pan.
- Add the cranberries to the liquid. Cover and cook over moderate heat until the berries just begin to pop, about 3 minutes. Strain into a bowl and add the cranberries to the pears. Return the liquid to the pan and boil over moderately high heat until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cranberry mixture and let cool. Serve chilled or at room temperature.
Make AheadThe chutney can be refrigerated, covered, for up to 3 days.