- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped (3/4 cup)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 pound fresh Black Mission figs, stemmed and quartered
- One 12-ounce bag of fresh or frozen cranberries
- 6 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange zest
- 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 star anise pod
- One 4-inch cinnamon stick
- Pinch of salt
How to make this recipe
- In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add all of the remaining ingredients and 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil. Simmer over low heat, stirring, until thick and jammy, 25 minutes. Let the chutney cool, then discard the star anise and cinnamon stick.
The chutney can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.