- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Grated zest of 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 sticks (6 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 heaping cup fresh or frozen cranberries (5 ounces)
- 1/2 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1 cup cold buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons sugar mixed with 1/8 teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice and
mace, for sprinkling
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Line a 15-by-12-inch baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a medium bowl, combine the flour, the 1/2 cup of sugar, the orange zest, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cranberries and dates and toss. Stir in the buttermilk until a stiff dough forms.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured work surface and knead gently just until the dough comes together. Divide the dough in half and pat each piece into a 7-inch round about 3/4 inch thick. Sprinkle the tops with the spiced-sugar mixture. Using a knife, cut each round into 6 wedges.
Arrange the wedges 1/2 inch apart on the baking sheet. Bake in the middle of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.