- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/4 cup minced shallots
- Grated zest of 1 orange
- One 12-ounce package of fresh cranberries, picked over
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- In a small nonreactive saucepan, combine the bourbon, shallots and orange zest. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, then simmer, stirring occasionally, until the bourbon is reduced to a syrupy glaze, about 10 minutes.
- Add the cranberries and sugar, stirring well until the sugar dissolves. Lower the heat slightly and simmer, uncovered, until most of the cranberries have burst, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pepper. Transfer to a bowl, let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate.
This relish can be made several days before serving.