© Frances Janisch
Cranberry Bean Stew with Potatoes and Bell Peppers
- ACTIVE: 25 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 30 MIN PLUS OVERNIGHT SOAKING
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1 1/2 cups dried cranberry beans (1/2 pound), soaked overnight and drained
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large sweet onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 sweet Italian chicken sausage, casing removed
- 2 cups drained canned diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
- In a large saucepan, cover the beans with 3 inches of cold water and bring to a boil. Cook over moderate heat until the beans are barely tender, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook over moderate heat until softened, about 7 minutes. Add the sausage and cook for 4 minutes, crumbling it with a spoon. Add the beans, tomatoes, stock, thyme and crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cover partially and simmer over moderate heat until the beans are tender, about 20 minutes. Add the potatoes, cover partially and cook until tender, about 15 minutes longer. Remove the thyme sprigs. Stir in the parsley and serve.
NotesOne Serving 437 cal, 19 gm fat, 3.5 gm saturated fat, 49 gm carb, 15 gm fiber.