- TOTAL TIME: 20 MIN Plus cooling
- SERVINGS: 2 1/4 cups
Classic cranberry sauce is great—but can be one-dimensional. Make this chutney instead, or try store-bought ones.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large shallot, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 pound fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3/4 cup dried apricots, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- In a medium saucepan, heat the oil. Add the shallot and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 3 minutes. Add the cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg and cook, stirring, 2 minutes. Add the cranberries, apricots, sugar, vinegar and 1/4 cup of water and cook, stirring, until the cranberries start to burst, 5 minutes. Mash some of the cranberries and cook, stirring, until the chutney thickens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice; season with salt and pepper. Let cool before serving.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.