- 2 cups high-proof vodka (like Stolichnaya Blue 100 Proof)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, each one pierced with a toothpick
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- 2 star anise pods
- One 3-inch cinnamon stick
- One 1-inch piece of fresh ginger, peeled and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1 teaspoon gentian root
- 1/2 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 tablespoons simple syrup (see Note)
- In a 1-quart glass jar, combine all of the ingredients except the syrup. Cover and shake well. Let stand in a cool, dark place for 2 weeks, shaking the jar daily.
- Strain the infused alcohol into a clean 1-quart glass jar through a cheesecloth-lined funnel. Squeeze any infused alcohol from the cheesecloth into the jar; reserve the solids. Strain the infused alcohol again through new cheesecloth into another clean jar to remove any remaining sediment. Cover the jar and set aside for 1 week.
- Meanwhile, transfer the solids to a small saucepan. Add 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat for 10 minutes; let cool completely. Pour the liquid and solids into a clean 1-quart glass jar. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 week, shaking the jar once daily.
- Strain the water mixture through a cheesecloth-lined funnel set over a clean 1-quart glass jar; discard the solids. If necessary, strain again to remove any remaining sediment. Add the infused alcohol and the syrup. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 3 days. Pour the bitters through a cheesecloth-lined funnel or strainer and transfer to glass dasher bottles. Cover and keep in a cool, dark place.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.