- SERVINGS: MAKES SEVEN 4-OUNCE JARS
A versatile chutney like this makes an ideal condiment to serve with pork, ham, lamb or seafood.
- 1 peeled and cored golden pineapple (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch pieces (4 cups)
- 1 small sweet onion, such as Vidalia or Maui, finely chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cider vinegar
- 12 cardamom pods, lightly crushed
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped crystallized ginger
- 1 cup fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- In a large saucepan, combine the pineapple with the onion, bell pepper, sugar, vinegar, cardamom and ginger and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally. Add the cranberries and cook over moderately low heat until the pineapple is translucent and the cranberries have popped, about 40 minutes. Season with salt; let cool. Transfer to jars and refrigerate.
Make AheadThe chutney can be refrigerated for 1 month.