- Butter and granulated sugar, for coating
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup pitted dates, chopped
- 1 cup chopped walnuts (4 ounces)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
How to make this recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter and sugar six 1-cup ramekins. In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the baking powder, cinnamon and salt. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the confectioners' sugar until dissolved. Stir in the dates, walnuts and oil, then stir in the dry ingredients.
- In a large stainless steel bowl, beat the egg whites to firm peaks. Stir one-third of the whites into the batter to loosen it; fold in another third of the whites until incorporated, then gently fold in the remaining whites until just a few white streaks remain. Neatly spoon the batter into the prepared ramekins.
- Bake the cakes for about 30 minutes, or until puffed and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let the cakes cool in the ramekins for 5 minutes. Run a thin knife around the sides to loosen the cakes and unmold them onto a rack. Serve warm or at room temperature.
The cakes can be prepared early in the day and kept at room temperature.
Sweetened whipped cream.