Crab Salad with Caesar Vinaigrette
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
Chef Way At Custom House, the salty and piquant anchovy- and-Parmesan dressing for this salad gets pounded by hand in a mortar with a pestle, then tossed with lettuce and home-roasted pimiento peppers.
Easy Way A blender does the work of the mortar and pestle. Store-bought roasted peppers, instead of home-roasted ones, are combined with the crunchy greens.
- 8 white anchovies (see Note)
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over for cartilage
- 1 tablespoon snipped chives
- 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped tarragon
- 1/4 cup finely diced roasted red pepper
- 1/2 pound baby romaine lettuce leaves
- In a blender or mini processor, combine 4 of the anchovies with the garlic, vinegar, mustard and Worcestershire sauce and puree until smooth. With the machine on, add the olive oil and blend until incorporated. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper; add the Parmesan and blend briefly.
- In a large bowl, gently toss the crab, chives, tarragon and red pepper with the vinaigrette. Add the romaine and toss. Transfer to plates, top with the remaining 4 anchovies and serve.
Marinated white anchovies are available at Italian markets, specialty food stores and in the deli case at some supermarkets.
One Serving 285 cal, 18 gm Total Fat, 3 gm Saturated Fat, 3 gm Carbohydrates, 1 gm Fiber.
Minerally, complex Chardonnay from Napa Valley.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.