- 1/2 cup fresh carrot juice
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1 tablespoon Champagne vinegar
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 3/4 pound lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1/2 cup coarsely shredded sorrel leaves (2 ounces)
- 2 ripe Hass avocados, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch dice
How to make this recipe
In a small saucepan, combine the carrot juice and shallot and boil over moderate heat until reduced to 2 tablespoons, about 6 minutes. Transfer to a blender. Add the vinegar and let cool slightly, then puree until smooth. With the machine on, slowly blend in 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Season the vinaigrette with salt and pepper.
In a medium bowl, whisk the lemon juice with the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil. Add the onion, crab and sorrel and toss gently. Add the avocado, season with salt and pepper and gently fold together. Mound the salad on plates, drizzle the carrot vinaigrette around it and serve.
Medium-bodied, crisp white such as an Albariño.