- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 1/4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Cognac
- 1/2 tablespoon finely chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 tablespoon snipped chives, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 tablespoon coarsely chopped tarragon
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pinch of cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 celery rib, finely chopped
- 1 large Belgian endive, 6 outer leaves reserved, the rest thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
In a small bowl, whisk the mayonnaise with the mustard, lemon juice, Cognac and fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper and the cayenne.
Heat the olive oil in a small skillet. Add the celery and cook over moderately high heat until crisp-tender, about 1 minute. Spread the celery on a plate and refrigerate until chilled.
In a medium bowl, gently toss the sliced endive with the crabmeat, celery and Cognac dressing. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange 3 endive leaves on each plate. Spoon the crab salad in the center, garnish with chives and serve.