- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 8
Gerard Craft grew up in Washington, DC, eating lots of Maryland blue crab. Here, he creates a very simple and delicious starter by tossing sweet crabmeat with fresh mint and lime juice, then spooning it over mashed avocado on toast. You can make the toasts or buy store-bought ones to save time.
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for brushing
- 8 slices packaged thin white bread
- 2 Hass avocados
- Salt and cayenne pepper
- 4 ounces lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350° and lightly brush a large baking sheet with olive oil. Using a 2-inch round biscuit cutter, stamp 4 rounds out of each slice of bread and transfer to the baking sheet. Lightly brush the rounds with olive oil and toast for about 15 minutes, until they are lightly golden and slightly crisp.
- In a small bowl, mash the avocados with a pinch each of salt and cayenne pepper. In another small bowl, gently stir the crabmeat with the mint and lime juice and season with salt. Spread the mashed avocado on the toasts, top with the crab mixture and serve right away.
A bright, minerally white, such as a California Sauvignon Blanc, is perfect with the sweet crab.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.