Crab and Artichoke Orzo Salad
- TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4 to 6
Marinated-artichoke lovers will adore this unusual take on cold pasta salad. Pureed artichokes flavor the tangy vinaigrette; chopped ones get tossed with the orzo and crab.
- 1 pound orzo
- One 6-ounce jar marinated artichoke-heart quarters, drained, 4 reserved and the rest coarsely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried Greek oregano
- 2 large basil leaves
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 10 oil-packed sun-dried tomato halves, drained and sliced into 1/4-inch strips
- 5 scallions, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 pound jumbo lump crabmeat, picked over
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- In a pot of boiling salted water, cook the orzo until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water, then drain; transfer to a bowl.
- Meanwhile, in a blender, puree the 4 reserved artichoke quarters with the garlic, shallot, mustard, oregano, basil and vinegar. With the machine on, pour in the oil; season with salt and pepper.
- Stir 1 cup of the vinaigrette into the orzo. Add the chopped artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes, scallions, crabmeat and parsley; season with salt and pepper. Spoon the orzo into shallow bowls and serve, passing the remaining vinaigrette at the table.