- 1 1/2 tablespoons pure chile powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 T-bone steaks, cut 3/4 -inch thick (about 1 pound each)
- 2 large onions, sliced crosswise 1/2 inch thick
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- Yuca Fries, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a small bowl, combine the chile powder, cayenne, cumin and oregano with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper. Rub the steaks with the spice mixture and arrange on a platter. Let them come to room temperature.
Light a grill or preheat a grill pan and oil it lightly. Brush the onions with the oil and season with salt and black pepper. Grill over a hot fire until nicely charred, about 8 minutes.
Grill the steaks over the hot fire for 4 to 5 minutes per side for medium rare. Transfer the steaks to plates and top with the onions. Serve Yuca Fries on the side.
Both the chili rub and the charred onions give the steaks a spiciness that calls for an equally spicy California Zinfandel. Look for a peppery, fruity example.