Couscous with Red Lentils and Easy Preserved Lemons
- TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: 4
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 large lemon, very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 cup red lentils
- 5 ounces arugula, leaves torn
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup toasted shelled unsalted pistachios, coarsely chopped
- In a small saucepan, boil 2 cups of water. Add the sugar, 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper; stir until the salt dissolves. Add the lemon slices and cook over moderately high heat until softened, 15 minutes. Transfer the lemon slices to a plate. Boil the liquid until reduced to 1/3 cup, 3 minutes; let cool. Whisk in 1/4 cup of the oil.
- Meanwhile, bring 3/4 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the couscous. Remove the pan from the heat, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil, add the lentils and cook over moderately high heat until tender but not mushy, 6 minutes. Drain, transfer to a bowl and add the couscous.
- Stir all but 1 tablespoon of the lemon oil into the couscous and season. Toss the arugula with the lemon juice and remaining olive oil; season with salt and pepper. Transfer the arugula to plates, mound the couscous on top and drizzle with the remaining lemon oil. Top with the lemon slices and pistachios.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.