Couscous with Curried Chicken and Chickpeas
- SERVINGS: 4
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/4 pounds skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Madras curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 3 cups chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 2 small zucchini, diced
- One 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup couscous
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro, plus whole sprigs, for garnish
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, curry, cinnamon, cayenne and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the stock and simmer until reduced by one-third, about 10 minutes. Add the diced red pepper and zucchini and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the chickpeas and cook for 1 minute longer. Season the curried chicken with salt.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring the water to a boil. Add the couscous and 1/2 teaspoon of salt, cover and let stand for 10 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork, then add the chopped cilantro and toss. Transfer the curry to a serving bowl, garnish with the cilantro sprigs and serve with the couscous.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.