Couscous Salad with Dried Fruit and Olives
- SERVINGS: 4
Terrific Green Salads
- 1/4 cup slivered blanched almonds
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/3 cups couscous (about 10 ounces)
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 dried apricots, coarsely chopped
- 5 pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup green Picholine olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 3 tablespoons coarsely chopped parsley
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Toast the almonds in a pie plate for about 6 minutes, or until golden.
- In a small saucepan, boil the orange juice over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup. Transfer to a bowl and let cool. Whisk in the olive oil and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Put the couscous in a large bowl. Stir in the boiling water and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the apricots and dates, cover with plastic wrap and let stand for about 15 minutes. Fluff the couscous with a fork. Stir in the olives, almonds, orange juice dressing and 2 tablespoons of the parsley. Cover and let stand for 1 hour. Fluff the couscous again, then transfer it to a platter. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of parsley and serve.