© Michael Turek
Cornmeal Pancakes with Lemon-Sage Brown Butter
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR
- SERVINGS: 24 pancakes
To create these pancakes, chefs Daniel Patterson and René Redzepi started with a standard cornmeal pancake recipe they found online. They added rice flour to make the Healthy Breakfast Recipes
- 1/2 cup stone ground cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups cold water
- 1 1/4 cups buttermilk
- 1 large egg, separated, plus 1 large egg white
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup rice flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Unsalted butter, for the griddle
- Lemon-Sage Brown Butter
- Warm pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a medium saucepan, whisk the cornmeal into the cold water and bring to a boil, whisking. Simmer over moderate heat until thickened to a porridge, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and whisk in the buttermilk and the egg yolk.
- In another bowl, whisk the all-purpose and rice flours with the sugar, baking powder and baking soda. Whisk the dry ingredients into the cornmeal mixture. In a large bowl, using a handheld mixer, beat the 2 egg whites with the salt at high speed until firm peaks form. Gently fold the beaten egg whites into the batter.
- Heat a large griddle. Brush the hot griddle with butter and ladle a scant 1/4 cup of batter onto the surface for each pancake, allowing a little space between them. Cook the pancakes over moderate heat until bubbles appear on the surface, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook until risen and browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes longer. Serve the pancakes immediately with the Lemon-Sage Brown Butter and maple syrup. Repeat with the remaining batter.