- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal, preferably stone-ground
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- Coarse salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 pound young okra, trimmed
- 1/2 pound cherry tomatoes, halved through the stem end
- 1/2 pound large tomatillos, husked and cut into 1-inch wedges
- 2 cups vegetable oil, for frying
- Hot sauce, for serving
How to make this recipe
In a large resealable plastic bag, combine the cornmeal, flour, cayenne and 2 teaspoons of salt. In a large, shallow bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the egg.
Dip the okra in the egg and, using a slotted spoon, transfer it to the plastic bag. Shake to coat completely; transfer the okra to a large plate. Repeat with the cherry tomatoes and then the tomatillos.
Heat the oil in a large cast-iron skillet until shimmering. Fry the okra over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels to drain. Reheat the oil and fry the cherry tomatoes until golden and crisp, 2 to 3 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Reheat the oil and fry the tomatillos, then drain. Gently toss the fried vegetables, season with salt and serve hot, with hot sauce on the side.