© Keller & Keller
Cornmeal Crêpes with Peaches and Caramel
- ACTIVE: 45 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 1 HR 15 MIN
- SERVINGS: 6
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, 5 tablespoons melted
- 1 1/4 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
- 3 ripe peaches—halved, pitted and cut into 1/2-inch dice
- In a small skillet, cook the 3 tablespoons of unmelted butter over moderate heat until golden brown and fragrant, about 4 minutes.
- In a blender, combine the milk with half of the flour and blend. Add the cornmeal, salt and the remaining flour and blend until smooth. With the machine on, add the eggs one at a time, then add the browned butter in a thin stream. Transfer the batter to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over moderate heat. Add the honey, sugars and salt, whisking to dissolve the sugars. Bring to a boil and cook without whisking for about 30 seconds, until the caramel bubbles vigorously. Remove the saucepan from the heat and whisk in the cream and vinegar. Strain the caramel and keep warm.
- Line a plate with wax paper. Heat an 8-inch nonstick crêpe pan or skillet. Lightly brush the pan with some of the 5 tablespoons of melted butter. Add 3 tablespoons of the batter and immediately swirl the pan to coat the bottom. Cook the crêpe over moderate heat until the edges are golden and the batter is set, about 30 seconds. Flip the crêpe over and cook until the bottom is lightly browned in spots, about 20 seconds. Transfer the crêpe to the prepared plate. Repeat with the remaining batter to make 12 crêpes, adding more melted butter as needed.
- Shortly before serving, preheat the oven to 400°. Arrange the crêpes on a work surface. Lightly brush both sides with the remaining melted butter. Fold the crêpes into quarters and arrange them on a baking sheet. Bake the crêpes until sizzling and lightly browned, about 4 minutes.
- Spoon the peaches into shallow bowls and cover them with 2 crêpes each. Drizzle the warm caramel sauce on top and serve right away.
Make Ahead The crêpes can be kept at room temperature for up to 4 hours. The caramel sauce can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. Rewarm before serving.