- SERVINGS: MAKES TWENTY 2 1/2-INCH BISCUITS
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded (1 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup stone-ground cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped thyme
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 stick (4 ounces) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 large egg yolks
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a bowl, using a fork, stir the flour, cheese, cornmeal, sugar, thyme, baking powder, salt and baking soda. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in the butter until the mixture resembles coarse meal.
- In a small bowl, whisk the buttermilk with the egg yolks. Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a fork until a dough forms.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat it into a 1/2-inch-thick disk. Using a 2 1/2-inch round biscuit cutter, cut out as many biscuits as possible. Transfer the biscuits to a baking sheet. Gather the dough and repeat, handling the dough as little as possible.
- Bake the biscuits in the upper and lower thirds of the oven for 18 minutes, or until golden; switch the pans halfway through baking. Transfer the biscuits to racks and let cool slightly and serve.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.