- 1 1/2 cups ricotta cheese (12 ounces)
- 2 cups milk
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups cake flour
- 1/2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, melted, plus more for serving
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- Crisp bacon strips, for serving
How to make this recipe
- Heat an 8-inch square waffle iron and preheat the oven to 200°. In a large bowl, whisk the ricotta with the milk, egg yolks and sugar. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, baking powder and salt. Whisk the dry ingredients into the ricotta mixture until combined. Stir in the melted butter.
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites until firm peaks form. Fold the egg whites into the waffle batter until no streaks remain.
- Coat the waffle iron with vegetable-oil spray and spoon about 1 1/2 cups of the batter onto the waffle iron. Close and cook until the waffles are golden and crisp. Serve the waffles immediately or transfer them to a rack in the oven to keep warm. Serve the cornmeal waffles with melted butter, maple syrup and crisp bacon.