- 1 1/4 cups skim milk
- 1 long strip of orange zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 pint fresh raspberries
- In a medium saucepan, combine the milk and orange zest and bring to a simmer over moderately high heat. Remove the saucepan from the heat, cover and let the infused milk steep for 30 minutes. Discard the orange zest.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400°. Coat four 1-cup ramekins with the butter and dust lightly with sugar. Return the milk to a simmer. Add 2 tablespoons of the sugar, then stir in the cornmeal in a thin stream. Stir in the orange juice and simmer over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture is soft and creamy, about 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and stir to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar until soft peaks form. Stir one-quarter of the beaten whites into the cornmeal mixture until combined. Gently fold in the remaining egg whites just until incorporated. Gently fold in the raspberries. Divide the soufflé batter among the prepared ramekins. Set the ramekins in a medium baking dish and add enough hot water to the dish to reach halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Transfer the baking dish to the oven and bake for about 25 minutes, or until the soufflés have risen and are golden but still soft in the center. Transfer the ramekins to plates and serve at once.
One serving Calories 157 kcal, Total Fat 1.9 gm, Saturated Fat 1 gm.