Cornmeal and Corn Pancakes with Poached Eggs
- SERVINGS: 4
Making these pancakes with frozen corn kernels seems appropriate on an ice-fishing expedition, but by all means use fresh corn in summer.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels (6 ounces)
- 7 large eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- 2 scallions, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced red onion
- 1/2 cup crème fraîche, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1/4 cup snipped chives
- In a small bowl, whisk the flour with the cornmeal, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper and the baking powder. In a food processor, coarsely chop the corn kernels. With the machine on, add 3 of the eggs and the egg yolk, one at a time, and process until incorporated. Add the melted butter, basil, scallions and the flour mixture and process just until combined. Scrape the batter into a bowl.
- Put the onion in a small strainer and rinse under cold water for several seconds. Pat dry and transfer to a small bowl. Stir in the 1/2 cup of crème fraîche and the lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Bring a medium saucepan of water to a boil. Add the vinegar. Crack the 4 remaining eggs into the water and poach until the whites are firm and the yolks are runny, about 4 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and keep warm in a bowl of hot water.
- Heat a cast-iron skillet. Pour in a thin film of oil and heat until shimmering. Drop heaping tablespoons of the batter in the skillet and cook over moderate heat until bubbles form on the surface. Flip the pancakes and cook for about 1 more minute. Transfer the pancakes to a baking sheet and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Arrange 3 pancakes on each plate. Top with the poached eggs and a dollop of crème fraîche. Sprinkle with the chives and serve at once.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.