© Zubin Schroff
- ACTIVE: 30 MIN
- SERVINGS: Makes sixteen 5-inch tortillas
The secret to bobsredmill.com) has better flavor.
More Quick Mexican Recipes
- 2 cups masa harina, preferably Bob’s Red Mill
- 1 1/2 cups water
- Shredded chicken, salsa verde, sour cream and cotija cheese (a dry, salty white cheese), for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the masa harina with the water and stir until moistened. On a sheet of plastic wrap, roll the tortilla dough into an 8-inch log and cut the log into 16 pieces. Roll each piece into a ball, transfer to a large plate and cover loosely with plastic wrap.
- Heat a griddle or a comal (a flat, round griddle) until very hot. Line a basket or a wide, shallow bowl with a clean kitchen towel. Cut a sturdy, resealable plastic bag at the seams. Set 1 ball of dough between the sheets of plastic. Using a tortilla press, a skillet or a rolling pin, flatten the tortilla to a 5-inch round. Peel off the plastic and set the tortilla on the hot griddle.
- Cook the tortilla over high heat until lightly browned in spots, about 1 minute. Flip and cook about 30 seconds longer. Wrap the cooked tortilla in the towel. Press, cook and wrap the remaining balls of dough, keeping the stack of tortillas covered. Serve the tortillas warm and wrap them around chicken, salsa verde, sour cream and cotija cheese.
Make AheadThe uncooked tortillas can be stacked between layers of wax paper and stored in a plastic bag in the refrigerator overnight. They can also be frozen for up to 1 month. Cook without thawing.