- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse, stone-ground yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Pinch of freshly ground pepper
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon corn oil
- 8 scallions, white and tender green parts only, thinly sliced
How to make this recipe
Preheat the oven to 400°. Place a 10-inch cast-iron skillet in the oven to heat. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, salt and pepper. In a small bowl, whisk the milk, honey, eggs and 1/3 cup of the oil. Add the wet ingredients to the cornmeal mixture and whisk just until combined. Stir in the scallions.
Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the hot skillet and swirl to coat. Pour the batter into the skillet and bake for about 30 minutes, until the top is golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly, then turn the corn bread out onto a plate. Invert it onto a rack to cool. Alternatively, serve the corn bread hot from the skillet.