- Country Corn Bread
- 4 medium poblano chiles
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 2 medium celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 pound coarsely ground country sausage meat or breakfast sausage without casings
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup turkey or chicken stock or canned low-sodium broth
- Butter a large gratin dish or a 9-by-13-inch baking dish. Break the Country Corn Bread into 1-inch pieces, spread the pieces on a baking sheet and let dry slightly, for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Meanwhile, roast the poblanos over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning until charred all over. Transfer the poblanos to a bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let steam for 15 minutes. Peel, core and seed the poblanos and cut them into 1/2-inch pieces.
- In a large deep skillet, melt the butter until foaming. Add the onions, celery, carrots and garlic and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until softened, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the sausage, breaking it up, and cook until no pink remains, about 10 minutes. Stir in the oregano, salt, pepper and poblanos and transfer to a large bowl. Mix in the corn bread, then stir in the turkey stock. Spread the stuffing in the prepared gratin dish.
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Cover the stuffing with foil and bake for about 30 minutes, or until heated through. Uncover and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the top is crisp and golden. Serve hot.
Add a Comment
Congratulations to Mei Lin, winner of Top Chef Season 12.