© Kamran Siddiqi
Corn-Blueberry Swirl Muffins
- ACTIVE: 15 MIN
- TOTAL TIME: 40 MIN
- SERVINGS: 12
Fresh blueberries are cooked down to a compote and swirled into sweet corn muffins.
Slideshows: Breakfast Muffins
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/4 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, plus more for sprinkling
- 1 cup medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 cup Silvana’s Kitchen Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat the oven to 350° and fill 12 muffin cups with paper liners. In a small saucepan, combine the blueberries with 1 teaspoon of the sugar and cook over moderate heat, crushing and mashing with a spoon, until the blueberry compote is reduced to 1/4 cup, about 5 minutes. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the cornmeal with the flour, baking powder, salt, baking soda and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar. Add the eggs, sour cream, melted butter and milk and whisk until combined.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups and top with the blueberry compote. Using a toothpick, swirl the compote into the batter, then sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake the muffins in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Let cool slightly before serving.