Coriander Beef with Tortillas
- SERVINGS: 4
The beef's spicy poaching broth can be reserved and used as the base for a hearty black bean soup.
- 3 cups water
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 fresh cilantro stems plus 1/4 cup coarsely chopped leaves
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 large jalapeño, thickly sliced
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds, crushed, plus 1 1/2 teaspoons whole seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
- 1 pound skirt steak, cut crosswise into 2-inch-wide strips
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 6 large romaine lettuce leaves, shredded
- 1 ripe Hass avocado, sliced
- 3 medium radishes, sliced
- 2 scallions, white and tender green, cut into 1/2 -inch pieces
- Warm corn tortillas and hot sauce, for serving
- In a saucepan, combine the water, onion, cilantro stems, garlic, jalapeño, crushed coriander, whole peppercorns and 1/2 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Add the meat and simmer over moderately low heat until tender, about 25 minutes. Transfer the meat to a plate and let cool slightly; thinly slice the meat across the grain. Reserve the broth if desired.
- Meanwhile, in a small skillet, toast the whole coriander seeds until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a spice grinder or mortar and grind to a powder. Put the ground coriander in a small bowl and whisk in the lime juice, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and the freshly ground pepper. Whisk in the oil until combined.
- Line a platter with the romaine. Toss the sliced meat with 1/3 cup of the dressing and the chopped cilantro. Mound the meat on the lettuce and garnish with the avocado, radishes and scallions. Drizzle the remaining dressing on top and serve with warm tortillas and hot sauce.
The slightly sweet coriander is a minor note next to the meatiness of the steak and the tartness of the vinaigrette. A full-flavored Sonoma Valley Zinfandel would wrap nicely around this dish.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.