- SERVINGS: Makes about 2 dozen drinks
Carmen the Restaurant, Coral Gables, FL
Demand for the Coquito, a Latin take on eggnog, was so great that Carmen now serves the drink year-round, not just during the holidays.
Plus: Ultimate Cocktail Guide
- 2 1/4 cups water
- Thick strips of zest from 2 limes
- 25 cinnamon sticks
- 2 1/3 cups sugar (1 pound)
- One 14-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- One 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- 16 ounces light rum
- 1/4 cup pure vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, combine the water with the lime zest and 1 cinnamon stick and simmer over moderate heat for 15 minutes. Strain into a large heatproof bowl and refrigerate until chilled, at least 1 hour.
- Whisk in the sugar, coconut milk, evaporated milk, light rum, vanilla and egg yolks, if using; whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Refrigerate the drink until chilled, about 2 hours. Stir well and ladle into small chilled martini or cordial glasses; garnish with the remaining cinnamon sticks.
Add a Comment
Tune in on Wednesdays at 10PM ET for Top Chef: Boston, the 12th season of Bravo's Emmy-Award winning, hit reality series.